Thursday, February 02, 2017

What if ... ?





Two great words for brainstorming. What if ... ?

The instant those two words emerge within the author's thoughts, or within the storyline, all boundaries break and every character or potential character is released from all constraints, becoming mysterious, unstable, and liable to suffer unexpected fates.

Even if the story is half-written and the characters were previously well known. Therein lies my dilemma as I write this evening and tomorrow. My main character has just turned to her mentor and uttered those two fateful words. "What if ... ?"

All bets are now off. Dear characters, no matter how much I love you, and no matter how long I've thought you were perfect, your days might be numbered.

Unless you're the king or one of his minions. By your own histories, you are saved.

Blessings! It's time to write!


No comments: