Sunday, November 27, 2016

Unexpected Obstacles

Not quite a walk in the park

Revising an old (OLD!) manuscript is like walking through an old park and finding a few snags along the way. (Okay, more than a few. Lots of little fiddly obstacles.) Forward progress is temporarily halted. Do we climb over or under the obstacle, or circle around it? (Nah, look at those rocks!) Is the road ahead filled with even more obstacles? (Undoubtedly.) Will the obstacles halt this writing adventure altogether? (No!)

However, at the end of a writing session full of similar detours, I have to lecture myself. "Progress is progress, even if it feels as if you've scraped yourself on the imaginary rocks."

Focus on the surrounding scenery, not just the obstacles. Ultimately, it's beautiful, and worth the journey.

Lacing up my boots!

Blessings, and onward,

R. J.

2 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Progress is progress indeed :)

I wish you a very merry Christmas :)

Kacy Barnett-Gramckow said...

It is indeed! I'm one-third through the rough draft, which surprises me for some reason.

Thank you--a very merry and optimistic Christmas to you!!!